Detroit is rich in beautiful Art Deco architecture and there is perhaps no better example than the Guardian Building. Originally named the Union Guardian Building, it was designed by Wirt Roland (Smith, Hinchman & Grylls) and built in 1928. The interior is filled with mosaic, Pewabic and Rookwood tile. The building, which is currently owned by Wayne County, became a National Historic Landmark on June 29, 1989.
It’s exterior (496ft./40 stories), like it’s interior, is quite grand. The shade of the orange brick was formulated specifically for this building, and dubbed Guardian Brick by the architect. Here it is, rising up, at 500 Griswold Avenue, Detroit, Michigan.